I used only half the milk that would have been used if I had used all for both recipes...so it wasn't as creamy, more bold...but it was incredible! Chris loved it and kept saying it tasted almost exactly like good spaghetti sauce. So last night he heated up some of our homemade pasta and topped it with the soup and said it was delicious!
I didn't eat it with the spaghetti, but I did eat it with the Panera Bread Copycat recipe that I tweaked the other day and it was fabulous together!
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp chopped onion
1 garlic clove, diced
1/8 cup flour
3 cups tomato juice
29 oz can petite diced tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups milk (or fat free half and half)
1 Tbsp sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 to 1/4 cup sherry cooking wine (could probably use any good wine too)
5-8 oz spinach (fresh or frozen)
1. Melt butter in large soup pot.
2. Add onion and garlic, cook for about a minute.
3. Add tomato juice and tomatoes, cooking for about 5 minutes.
4. Add baking soda, milk, sugar, salt, sherry, basil, spinach and nutmeg.
5. Heat thoroughly. Blend with immersion blender or in stand blender until smooth.