- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 4 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated cheese such as jack and cheddar
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, chipotle chili powder, and jalapeno saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the tomatoes and black beans and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro.
- Place half of the mixture into one or more baking dishes, top with the eggs and spoon the remaining mixture around the eggs.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until the eggs just start to set, about 5-8 minutes.
- Top with the cheese and broil until it melts, no more than a minute or so.