2 cups dried red beans
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1 onion, diced
pinch of sugar
ham hock or bacon
red pepper to taste
1. Wash beans. Remove bad beans. Soak in large pot of water overnight (drain, rinse and repeat in the morning). Soak until ready to cook.
2. If using bacon, cook and break it up (I use precooked bacon - about 2-3 Tbsp)
3. Cover beans and all ingredients with cold water.
4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until beans are tender (about 2 hours)
5. Add salt to taste at this point - DO NOT add earlier - it makes the beans tough.
6. Serve over rice