- 11⁄4 lbs beets, trimmed, rinsed and peeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5-6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups Arborio or Carnaroli rice
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated
- Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1⁄4 tsp kosher salt
- 1⁄4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Place whole, peeled beets on a large piece of aluminum foil. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and tightly wrap beets into a foil packet. Place packet on a baking sheet and roast until tender, about 45-55 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, cut them into 1⁄4-inch cubes and set aside to cool.
- In a medium saucepan, warm chicken broth over low heat. Keep at a bare simmer, covered.
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onion, stirring occasionally until softened but not browned, 8-10 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and stir rice into onions, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Pour in the white wine, stirring until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and ladle in 1⁄2 cup of the hot broth, stirring until the broth is almost completely absorbed. Continue adding 1⁄2 cup of broth at a time, stirring constantly and letting each addition be almost completely absorbed before adding the next. Continue this process for 20 minutes. The risotto is ready when the rice is mostly tender but with a hint of texture to it. At this point, stir in the roasted beets, Parmesan cheese, butter, salt and pepper. Blend well and remove from heat, letting it stand 3-4 minutes before serving.
Preparation time: 1 hour(s) 30 minute(s)