Tuesday, February 8, 2011
I threw this together tonight...it was pretty good!
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 bag Ore'Ida Hash Brown Potatoes (with onions and peppers)
1 turkey kielbasa sausage
salt and pepper to taste
3 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 bag fresh baby spinach
1 cup frozen corn
1. Heat oil in large wok or large saute pan. When hot, add hash brown potatoes and cook for about 5 minutes on medium-high heat, stirring frequently.
2. Add Kielbasa sausage and pepper and continue cooking and stirring until potatoes just start to turn brown.
3. In small bowl, whisk together honey and dijon mustard and then add to the potatoes and stir well. Add baby spinach and corn and cook, covered, on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, or until spinach wilts.
Monday, February 7, 2011
I can't even begin to believe that I haven't made chocolate chip muffins since Derek got diagnosed with all of his food allergies...but I think I've only attempted muffins once. I had been using a cookbook that included all of his allergies, but the baked goods just weren't very good.
So, I found a basic recipe and modified it a WHOLE lot and made my own wemp-free chocolate chip muffins!
They turned out GREAT! Can't even tell they are wemp-free!!!! They were really good!
WEMP-Free Chocolate Chip Muffins
(makes 24 muffins and 2 small loaves)
1 1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp butter flavoring
1 3/4 cup sugar
5 cups wheat-free flour mix
2 tsp xanthum gum
2 tsp salt
6-7 tsp baking powder
2 cups vanilla soy milk
1/2 - 2/3 bag Enjoy Life dairy-free chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin tins with shortening and wheat-free flour mixture.
2. In the bowl of a large mixer, mix together vegetable oil, vanilla, butter extract, and sugar with a paddle attachment until fully combined.
3. In another large bowl, combine wheat-free flour mixture, xanthum gum, salt, and baking powder. Whisk to thoroughly combine.
4. Add flour mixture into sugar mixture, and turn mixer on low. Once it starts to blend together, add soy milk and continue on low for about a minute.
5. Add dairy-free chocolate chips, and turn mixer on medium for 30 seconds or so until fully mixed together. Note - Dough will be very thick, like cookie dough!
6. Using a large scoop, fill each muffin tin all the way (these muffins will NOT rise like a traditional wheat/egg muffin!).
NOTE - I had enough batter to fill 24 muffin tins and then also did 2 small loaves.
7. Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until tops start to get lightly browned.
8. Leave the loaves in for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until they also become lightly browned on top.
Saturday, February 5, 2011
We used to make this all the time...but stopped because of Derek's allergies. In fact, I had forgotten about it until today! :) I'm pretty sure it's no longer on the menu...
Super simple, quick weeknight meal, and oh so good!
Only thing is, this is in NO WAY WEMP-Free! So, we'll be eating this for dinner when the kids go to bed tonight!
OH, and it was super good with some fresh Na'an to dip in the sauce!!!
Macaroni Grill's Ravioli
Ingredients (for 2 adult serving):
about 40 Ravioli
1 cup Marinara sauce - we used to use Barilla's b/c it was chunky
2-4 Tbsp Pesto sauce - we made our own
2 Tbsp butter
1 cup fat free half and half
1/2 tsp rosemary
1-2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Cook ravioli according to directions on package.
2. Heat up marinara sauce and pesto sauce.
3. In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium high heat. Add garlic and rosemary; heat for about a minute. Add cream; whisk. Bring to boil, and continue boiling for about 5 or 10 minutes.
4. Add cheese to cream mixture; whisk til smooth.
5. To plate up, put ravioli in large pasta plate/bowl. Top with half of the cream mixture. Add 1/2 cup marinara on top, and then top with 1-2 Tbsp pesto. Don't mix together...the colors on top of each other make a lovely presentation!
I'll post pics this evening!!!!