Monday, February 7, 2011
WEMP Free Chocolate Chip Muffins
I can't even begin to believe that I haven't made chocolate chip muffins since Derek got diagnosed with all of his food allergies...but I think I've only attempted muffins once. I had been using a cookbook that included all of his allergies, but the baked goods just weren't very good.
So, I found a basic recipe and modified it a WHOLE lot and made my own wemp-free chocolate chip muffins!
They turned out GREAT! Can't even tell they are wemp-free!!!! They were really good!
WEMP-Free Chocolate Chip Muffins
(makes 24 muffins and 2 small loaves)
1 1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp butter flavoring
1 3/4 cup sugar
5 cups wheat-free flour mix
2 tsp xanthum gum
2 tsp salt
6-7 tsp baking powder
2 cups vanilla soy milk
1/2 - 2/3 bag Enjoy Life dairy-free chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin tins with shortening and wheat-free flour mixture.
2. In the bowl of a large mixer, mix together vegetable oil, vanilla, butter extract, and sugar with a paddle attachment until fully combined.
3. In another large bowl, combine wheat-free flour mixture, xanthum gum, salt, and baking powder. Whisk to thoroughly combine.
4. Add flour mixture into sugar mixture, and turn mixer on low. Once it starts to blend together, add soy milk and continue on low for about a minute.
5. Add dairy-free chocolate chips, and turn mixer on medium for 30 seconds or so until fully mixed together. Note - Dough will be very thick, like cookie dough!
6. Using a large scoop, fill each muffin tin all the way (these muffins will NOT rise like a traditional wheat/egg muffin!).
NOTE - I had enough batter to fill 24 muffin tins and then also did 2 small loaves.
7. Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until tops start to get lightly browned.
8. Leave the loaves in for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until they also become lightly browned on top.