- Gnocchi Dough
- 4 cups ricotta cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1⁄4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups flour
- Tomato Sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (28oz/796ml) cans diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 ⁄8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Dust 2 baking sheets with flour. Set aside.
- For the dough, in a large bowl, using your hands or a wooden spoon, combine ricotta, eggs, Parmesan, salt and pepper. Add flour 1 cup at a time to form a soft dough. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead gently for 2 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 6 pieces and roll each into a ball. Roll out each ball into 1⁄2-inch thick ropes. Cut each rope into 1-inch slices and gently place on prepared baking sheets. If not cooking right away, cover and place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- For the sauce, in a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrot and onion, stirring for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste and crushed red pepper flakes, bringing to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and use a hand held or countertop blender to process until smooth. Season with sugar, salt and pepper.
- To cook gnocchi, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Drop pieces into boiling water and cook until gnocchi rise to the surface, about 2-3 minutes. Remove gnocchi using a slotted spoon and place in a serving bowl. Top with tomato sauce and serve.
Preparation time: 35 minute(s)