Refried Beans - From Simply Mexican by Lourdes Castro
6 strips bacon, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
3 cups homemade black beans with their broth
1/4 cup queso fresco or feta cheese, crumbled (Optional)
1. Place a skillet over medium-high heat and add bacon. Allow bacon to cook slowly and melt its fat. Remove bacon as it gets crispy. Discard bacon or use for something else.
2. Keeping skillet on the stove, decrease heat to medium, and add onion. Cook onion until soft and translucent, about 6 minutes, being sure not to burn the bacon fat!
3. Once onions are soft, add half the beans with their broth and stir to combine well. Using potato masher or a form, mash the beans until most are crushed.
4. Add remaining beans and broth and continue mashing until you achieve the consistency of a coarse puree. Stir well. Continue cooking over medium heat until any liquid that remains has been absorbed and the mixture is creamy. Be careful not to burn the beans.
5. Serve with garnish of queso fresco and/or bacon crumbles.