Wednesday, September 30, 2009
My own version...well, it was originally someone else's version, but I've changed it a little here and there over the years to better suit our tastes...and we love it now!
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup diced onion
6 large baking potatoes, sliced thin (peeled or unpeeled)
12 cups water
6 tsp chicken boullion
1/2 - 1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 kielbasa, or 1 pound spicy Italian sausage, cooked
1 bag frozen chopped kale (10-16 oz?)
1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
1/2 cup milk
1. Heat oil in large soup pot. When hot, add garlic and onion and saute until onion is translucent.
2. Add sliced potatoes, water, red pepper flakes, and chicken boullion.
3. Simmer at a low boil for about 20 minutes, until potatoes are soft.
4. Slice kielbasa or cook sausage while soup is cooking. Add meat to pot and stir.
5. Add kale and cook until soup is heated through.
6. Add cream and milk and cook until heated again.
7. Add more red pepper, if desired.