Friday, September 11, 2009

Blueberry Peach Pancakes (eggless!)


I NEVER make breakfast food for dinner...but for some reason the other night I really didn't feel like cooking dinner, but the idea of cooking breakfast didn't seem so bad, so I made fruity pancakes and bacon!

I used the eggless pancake recipe I have already posted...originally from this website, but I made a much larger batch and made some additions.

This time I decided to make them even more healthy by adding lots of fresh blueberries and nectarines (I didn't have fresh peaches...plus I hate the fuzz!). They were SO good and the kids LOVED them!

I also tried out a little of our new White Whole Wheat Flour I just bought...supposedly it has all the nutrition of whole wheat flour but it's lighter and less nutty flavor. It wasn't even noticeable so I'll add more next time!

Ingredients:
2 cups white flour
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
2 1/2 tsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
5 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 cup milk
2 1/2 Tbsp vegetable/canola oil
2 1/2 Tbsp water
2 1/2 tsp vanilla
5 Tbsp butter
2 large nectarines, diced
3/4 cup fresh blueberries

Directions:
1. Combine dry ingredients and mix slightly. Add milk, oil, water, and vanilla. Whisk together until just combined. Be careful not to over mix - it should still be slightly lumpy. Set aside to rest for a few minutes.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. While pan is heating, add butter. As soon as the butter is melted, add melted butter to pancake batter.
3. Return pan to stove and stir butter into batter.
4. When pan is hot, with a measuring cup or ladle, pour 1/4 cup of batter into the skillet for each pancake.
5. Cook until bubbles form on the surface. Carefully flip pancakes with turner/spatula and cook until golden brown.


I also made a blueberry/peach syrup mixture that was also very tasty and again added more fruit for us!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup lite maple syrup (we use the fake stuff)
1/2 - 1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 - 1 cup diced peaches in juice (canned) - I actually used some peach pie filling to use it up!

Directions:
1. Put maple syrup in large sauce pan over medium high heat. Once it gets warm add blueberries and peaches and heat just until it gets hot all the way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment