Monday, March 23, 2009

Our FAVORITE Chicken Recipe!!!



OK, so I don't know about everyone else, but I've gotten SICK of paying high prices for things! Like Chicken. I can't stand paying $4 a pound for chicken meat!!!
I thought it was worth it because I thought the white meat was SO much better for you than the dark meat...but I found that there's not really that much difference in the nutritional value after all. And, I have always preferred dark meat over white anyway.
SO, I kept seeing whole chickens at the grocery store for less than $1 a pound...in fact, this week they were $.78 a pound! Who can beat that? You can't get any meat for $.78 a pound! Except whole chicken that is!
So, I found an AMAZINGLY tasty and simple way to prepare whole chicken that gives you the best flavor!!! It's a rotisserie style chicken, but it's cooked in the crockpot! So, you can cook it while you're home or not, and you don't have to worry about it drying out, even if you can't get it out right away! :-)
This chicken is so good, and so simple, and so cheap, that I started buying a whole chicken every week or two and cooking it up in the crockpot. Then, I pull apart the meat (the WHOLE CHICKEN FALLS APART, so it's so easy!) and stick it in a gallon size ziploc bag and toss it into the freezer. Then, as I need it for a recipe, I pull out my cooked chicken and add to pasta recipes, salads, soup, anything that calls for cooked chicken! It's SOO easy! Why pay $4 or more per pound for cooked chicken, when it's so simple to do for less than $1! :-)
I pay about $3.75 for a whole chicken, and it lasts for usually 3 full meals for my family! (I usually use a little less meat than recipes call for, just to stretch our dollars) But, you can't beat that!

So, without further delay, here it is...

Our FAVORITE Chicken Recipe

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken
2 Tbsp homemade rotisserie chicken seasoning (see below)
2 Tbsp olive oil
aluminum foil

Directions:
1. Take 5 pieces of aluminum foil and scrunch up into balls, about 1" around. Place the foil balls at the bottom of the crockpot. These will be used to set the chicken on, so it stays up out of it's juices, cooking it rotisserie style.
2. Rinse chicken off. Drizzle oil over chicken and rub around to cover whole chicken. Sprinkle seasoning all over chicken. I usually add a little inside too, just to add flavor to the meat.
3. Place in crockpot and cook on high for about 5 hours.

What's the ONLY thing better than rotisserie chicken? Rotisserie chicken with Gravy!

Just pour the meat drippings into a small saucepan over medium high heat. Whisk together 2 cups cold water with about 3 Tbsp flour. Add flour mixture to meat drippings and whisk until well blended. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook until thickened.


Rotisserie Style Chicken Seasoning:
4 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 tsp sugar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix together ingredients. Store in pantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment