Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Fully Homemade Chevy's Style Beef and Chicken Fajitas
This recipe came from our Chevy's cookbook (I combined a few recipes and changed it up a tad) and I must say that I think they turned out to be the absolute best fajitas I've ever eaten! I won't be going out for these anymore!
And, I know it sounds kind of dumb to make your own tortillas for fajitas when you can go to the store and play $2 and get them already made, but they were SUPER simple and OH SO GOOD! Totally worth the extra few minutes! (I halved this recipe for our family and it worked great)
Ingredients for Tortillas:
6 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
2 1/2 cups warm water
Directions for Tortillas:
1. Place the flour in the bowl of a mixer and add the baking powder and salt, stirring to mix well. Add the shortening. Turn the mixer on low and slowly pour in the water. Mix on low for 90 seconds or until well mixed.
2. Scrape the dough out of the bowl onto a floured surface. Divide the dough into 2 equal portions (if halving the recipe, no need to divide in half here). Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rest at room temperature for 20 minutes. Divide each half into 8 equal portions. You will now have 16 dough balls. Lightly flour your work surface. With a floured rolling pin, roll each ball into an 8-inch round. Stack the rounds on a baking sheet with plastic wrap between each tortilla. Let the tortillas rest for 10 minutes.
3. Heat a griddle or large cast-iron skillet over medium heat, and lightly coat with vegetable oil cooking spray. Cook the tortillas on the griddle or in the skillet for 1 minute on each side, or until light brown spots form on the surface. (I found I needed to spray a little for each side b/c otherwise it wouldn't get the spots...but I may just have been cooking at too high a temp, etc).
Ingredients for Fajitas:
2 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
1 lb steak (I used 3 slices of "mock beef tenderloin" from walmart)
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced green peppers (or red)
1 cup soy sauce
2 cups pineapple juice
2 Tbsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup lime juice
Fuego Spice Mix (see below)
Tortillas (see recipe)
sour cream and guacamole, if desired
Directions for Fajitas:
1. Slice chicken and steak into small bite size pieces. Mix together soy sauce, pineapple juice, cumin, garlic, and lime juice. Combine this mixture with meat and let marinade for about 30 minutes.
2. In large skillet, add about 3 Tbsp olive oil. Add onions and peppers and saute until desired doneness. Add about 2 Tbsp Fuego Spice Mix. Remove peppers and onions from pan and keep warm.
3. Heat additional 3 Tbsp olive oil in same pan. Drain most of the liquid from the meat and throw away. Add meat (with small amount of marinade) to skillet and cook until done (about 5-10 minutes). Add onions and peppers back into skillet with meat to warm and combine.
4. Fill tortilla with meat mixture, sour cream, and guacamole. Enjoy!
Fuego Spice Mix Recipe:
1/4 cup paprika
2 tsp cayenne
2 Tbsp salt
2 tsp ground white pepper
2 Tbsp black pepper
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp chile powder
2 Tbsp oregano
1. Combine all ingredients, mixing well. Store in an air-tight container, out of direct light, for up to 6 months.