Friday, March 6, 2009

Grilled Pizza Sandwiches


I saw this recipe (again, it's Taste of Home) and immediately thought it would be great! So, I tried it out today...and while I was cooking I was POSITIVE that I would have to say that it turned out soggy and gross, and I figured I'd have to recommend dipping the sandwich into the sauce instead of adding it into the sandwich. But, even though it looked like it was getting soggy while cooking, it turned out AWESOME and not soggy one bit!
The kids loved them! Of course it would have been a shock for them not to enjoy these, even when they're being picky!

**The recipe calls for kielbasa or sausage, but I didn't bother adding it. I just stuck with the pepperoni. I don't think it needs the extra fat (or even flavor for that matter, since it was so good!)

Ingredients:
1/4 cup pizza sauce
2 tablespoons chopped pepperoni
*2 tablespoons chopped smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
Dash salt and pepper
4 slices white bread
1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon butter, softened

Directions:
1. In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Cover and microwave on high until heated through. Spread two slices of bread with meat mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Top with remaining bread. Butter outsides of sandwiches.
2. Cook in a preheated sandwich maker according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown and cheese is melted (*I just cooked on the stove like a regular grilled cheese sandwich*). Yield: 2 servings.

2 comments:

  1. We do something like this that I took from one of my favorite school lunches growing up: Pizza Bob's! It's just like a grilled cheese, only with pizza sauce, mozz chesse and pepperoni! A lot simpler than this recipe you've got here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I thought about just putting sauce, cheese and pepperoni's between bread :-) I think I will do that next time...probably today actually.

    ReplyDelete