Monday, June 7, 2010

Wheat Free All Purpose Flour Mixture

This recipe comes from Cybele Pascal's book The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook. Let me just say that I've tried a few recipes from this book, and although one didn't work for me (totally could have been MY fault!), there are several awesome recipes in here! :)

I've begun experimenting with my own recipes, seeing what I can do to alter them so that we can still eat the same food we love, but altering it in such a way that Derek can enjoy it with us! :) He REALLY does NOT like it when he's eating something different than what everyone else is eating! So, I have to either make everyone the same food, or disguise his really REALLY well!

Anyway, so far this mixture is working wonders for us (we even made an excellent bread, just by substituting the flour mixture for all purpose flour, and adding some xanthum gum!).

Wheat Free All Purpose Flour Mix

Ingredients:

4 cups finely ground brown rice flour
1 1/3 cup potato starch
2/3 cup tapioca starch

Directions:
1. Combine flours into container, whisking well to fully mix. Store in air tight container (can place in refrigerator if you are not going to use soon).
2. Use in place of all purpose flour in recipes. You may need to add xanthum gum for different recipes, as that is what binds together flour in wheat-free cooking...but I don't know enough about xanthum gum at this point to give any guidelines about how much to use. I just look at other similar recipes :)

HINT: If using Bob's Red Mill brown rice, you can actually remove 1/4 cup from a full bag, and you'll be left with the 4 cups you need!

No comments:

Post a Comment