Monday, June 28, 2010

Dijon Beets - WEMP Free


OK, I know, I know...BEETS? What the heck are you thinking?!

I've only ever really EATEN beets from a can, and that was probably 20 years ago as a kid! :) I remember liking them back then, but when I tried pickled beets as an adult I couldn't stand them!

But, alas, we joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farm this year, and darned if we didn't get beets. Two weeks in a row. What's a girl to do?

So, I jumped online and searched recipezaar for the most highly rated beet recipes (because why would I try one that hasn't gotten rave reviews?!), and I found this one. Dijon Beets. It sounded interesting, and people loved them (after all, they must be good...29 people not only thought they were good, but good enough to post a review and give it 5 stars!), so I went ahead and bit the bullet tonight (after they've been taking up room in my fridge for a week and a half now!) and oddly enough, I liked them! I mean, I REALLY liked them! I probably still wouldn't say that I'd intentionally go to the store and pick out beets for dinner on any given day, but if I'm given beets from my CSA or anywhere else for that matter, I wouldn't mind making these again! :)

So, if you ever get beets and you don't know what to do with them, please try these out! They were quite tasty!

Dijon Beets

Ingredients:

4 medium beets
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp sugar

Directions:
1. Wash beets. Scrub if necessary! (Ours were SO dirty!)
2. Cut off greens if necessary.
3. Put beets in a pot with water to cover them.
4. Bring beets to a boil and cook until tender when pierced with a fork.
5. Drain and cool.
6. Slice beets into 1/4-inch slices.
7. Combine remaining ingredients.
8. Pour over beets and stir to combine.
9. Serve warm or let marinate in the dridge for a couple of hours. (I served them warm from the stove)

No comments:

Post a Comment