Monday, June 28, 2010

Scalloped Turnips


Not only did we have Dijon Beets for dinner tonight (even Julie loved these! Belle probably would have too, but she wasn't home)...we also ate turnips! LOL! Another annoyance from the CSA...or so I thought! :) I was once again pleasantly surprised!

We actually had the turnips in another recipe last week that I haven't posted yet, but they were good then too...but tonight they were AWESOME!

I only had a few small ones left, but decided to go ahead and try this Scalloped Turnips recipe (again, found at recipezaar) anyway to see if it's worth keeping til next year, and let me tell you, all the turnips next year will be turned into these wonderful scalloped babies! :)

Only downside, of course, is that Derek can't eat them...but he didn't seem to mind at all. Julie on the other hand was NOT happy that there was only enough for 2 tiny servings (which I went ahead and gave to Chris and myself simply b/c I didn't think she'd eat them)...she kept stealing bites of mine and loved every bit!

*Note, since I only had a very small amount of turnips left I about halved the sauce, but still, it ended up being a lot of sauce...so I'm not certain how the turnip to sauce ratio should actually be...but this was very saucy, and very tasty!

Scalloped Turnips
Ingredients:
3
turnips, medium sized
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated

Directions:
1. Wash the turnips well. Slice them and boil in salted water for about 15 minutes.
2. In a sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and whisk until well blended. Let cook for about a minute. Add milk, salt, and pepper and whisk again.
3. Place the turnips in a baking dish, pour the sauce over and srinkle with grated cheese.
4. Bake at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment