Saturday, July 3, 2010

BEST WEMP-Free Brownies!!!!



OK, so with all the 4th of July parties this weekend, I knew I needed to bake some kind of yummy treat for Derek, so he could feel included in the festivities! But, I wasn't sure I wanted to make the ones I made several weeks ago. I mean, they were AMAZING for my first attempt, but I didn't think I was satisfied with this recipe for brownies. They tasted like very very dark chocolate, but still with a touch of the apple flavor from the applesauce...which I just don't enjoy much.

So, I decided to tweak another recipe from my Kelly Rudnicki cookbook - The Food Allergy Mama's Baking Book. For some reason, I've found that I really LOVE when I make her recipes (making them wheat free, of course!) so much better than the ones that are already wheat free. :)

And, I'm SO glad I tried! These were OUTSTANDING!!!! FAR superior to my last attempt! I would be willing to bet no one would EVER know they are wheat, milk, egg, and nut free! AWESOME! Derek's enjoying some for breakfast! (Hey, I had to do something, his sister got to go out to breakfast with Daddy, and he was devastated! What's a mom to do?! Bake brownies for breakfast, of course!) :)

Now, these brownies use tofu in place of the eggs, and I HIGHLY recommend it! I've never baked with tofu (in fact, I've only used it once in my life, while being a Pampered Chef consultant...for a show for a vegetarian!)...so I was a bit skeptical. But, I'll never worry again! It was great! In fact, I had one package, and didn't want to waste any of it (since this is the only recipe I have at the moment with tofu), so of course I did what any sane woman would do at 9 am...I baked not one, not two, but THREE pans of brownies, just to use the tofu up! I'm telling you, the brownies are THAT good! :) I'll just let them cool, slice them, and place them in the freezer so I can grab them for Derek and Julie whenever we need a special treat out! :)

BEST WEMP-Free Brownies

Ingredients:

1/2 cup dairy-free shortening
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup silken tofu
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup wheat-free all-purpose flour mix
about 1/2 tsp xanthum gum
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 Tbsp vanilla soy milk
1/2 cup dairy-free mini chocolate chips
powdered sugar, optional

Directions:
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, thoroughly combine the shortening, sugar, tofu, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt with a wire whisk. Add the flour mixture to the shortening mixture, and mix until just combined, adding soy milk to help it come together. Stir in the chocolate chips with a rubber spatula.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray (or brush with shortening) 8x8 baking pan with dairy-free baking spray. Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan, and bake for 30 minutes, or until an inserted cake tester comes out clean. Cool completely, and dust with powdered sugar, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment