Thursday, July 22, 2010

WEMP Free Thai Tilapia

It's so funny that Annabelle has come SO far in her short little 6 years! :)

Even as recently as 2 years ago, there was not a lot that Belle would eat that wasn't plain, simple, and boring...you could not get her to eat a bell pepper, no matter what. And, that was just the beginning.

But, today, she is an awesome, adventurous eater! And, except for those few and far-between days now that she complains about food, her brother and sister are following her every move and enjoying quite a variety of foods! That's so great! Especially since we're so limited with Derek's allergies, it's nice to have lots of flavor and spice (especially with thai and indian dishes), so we don't feel so deprived all the time!

Anyway, I found this recipe tonight and decided to try it...because not only are we a family of thai-cuisine lovers, but the kids LOVE tilapia! So, why not join the two together?

I did change it quite a bit though, so I'm claiming this as my own recipe! LOL! I've been wanting to perfect a sauce so that it tastes like the Panang Curry dish at a small little restaurant in Winchester, VA...and I think it's pretty darn close! :) Can't wait to try it with chicken!

Of course, the panang curry sauce has peanut in it, so only add those if you can! If not, it's delightful even without!!!

In fact, I made 7 fillets tonight (they are very small), doing 4 in one skillet with NO peanut butter for the kids, and the rest I did for Chris and I with peanut butter, and they are both SO very good! I think this is my new best creation! :)

Note: If doing more than 4 fillets, you'll need to do in 2 skillets, so double the sauce for sure! I doubled it when cooking 7...

WEMP Free Thai Tilapia

Ingredients:

1/2 can coconut milk (about 6-8 oz)
2 Tbsp chopped onion
1 tsp fresh ginger, chopped (I just sliced some off the end of my ginger root & threw in blender)
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp chopped fresh lemongrass (I used about 1/4 tsp dried lemon grass powder)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 Tbsp fresh basil
1 tsp fresh garlic
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 tilapia fillets
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, to taste
1-2 Tbsp peanut butter (IF YOU CAN HAVE PEANUTS!) - totally optional here!

Directions:
1. In a blender, combine coconut milk, onion, ginger, turmeric, lemon grass, salt, basil, garlic, and peanut butter (if using). Blend until smooth.
2. Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Season the fish fillets with salt and pepper on both sides, then place them in the skillet. Pour the pureed sauce over the fish. Use a spatula to coat the fish evenly with the sauce. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, if desired.
3. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the puree is thickened and fish flakes easily with a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment