Monday, February 15, 2010

Roast Pork with Baked Apples

I have all these apples on my counter that I bought to make something for breakfast for the worship team last week, but seeing as we had our second blizzard in 5 days, I didn't get to use them up yet! So, I'm gonna use them for this recipe (from My Kitchen Cafe) tomorrow or Wednesday. Sounds great!

Ingredients:
5 pounds pork tenderloin
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
1/8 teaspoon seasoning salt
dash black pepper
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
1 cup water

Baked Apples
4 Granny Smith apples, sliced
1 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions:
1. Place pork in roasting pan. Make seasoning by mixing together salt, garlic salt, seasoning salt, pepper and rosemary. Lightly sprinkle seasoning mixture over pork. Cook in preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until brown, then add 1 cup water. Cover with foil and cook for another 1 1/2 hours at 225 degrees. Pull out of oven and let sit about 10 minutes before slicing (I let mine sit covered in foil up to 30 minutes while I pulled dinner together and it was still nice and hot).
2. To make gravy, drain meat juices into pot. In a bowl, mix together 1/2 cup water and cornstarch until smooth. Slowly add to pork juices, stirring constantly over medium-low heat. To thicken gravy, add more cornstarch mixture until gravy reaches desired consistency. (The gravy was my one problem - I didn't have enough pan juices to make enough gravy so I had to improvise and use some packaged gravy mix. Added to the pan juices it turned out quite good.)
3. To make baked apples, lay apple slices on greased sheet pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar first, then dribble with melted butter. Cook in preheated oven at 325 degrees for about 15 minutes or until brown.
4. Serve pork slices with baked apples and gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment