Monday, February 8, 2010

Pleasing Potato Pizza


OK, so I have to admit, I was skeptical. I LOVE pizza and I LOVED loaded baked potatoes...but together?! That sounded nuts.
It was the award winning pizza recipe from Taste of Home though...so I figured since they've never steered me wrong even once, I'd give it a try. And you know what?! It was fantastic!

Pleasing Potato Pizza

Ingredients:
3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 pizza crust (homemade or store-bought)
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1 pound sliced bacon, diced (OR 1 package pre-cooked bacon pieces - I use these!)
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped sweet red bell pepper
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
**I also added a minced up jalapeno pepper, seeds and membrane removed
sour cream, optional

Directions:
1. Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until very tender.
2. Preheat oven to 550 degrees with large round stone in place on rack in middle of oven.
3. Unroll (or flatten out) pizza crust onto large pizza peel, sprinkled generously with coarse corn flour (to keep from sticking!).
4. Drain potatoes and transfer to a mixing bowl. Mash with milk and salt until smooth. Spread over crust. In a skillet, partially cook the bacon. Add onion and red pepper; cook until bacon is crisp and vegetables are tender. Drain well; sprinkle over potatoes. Top with cheeses and jalapenos.
5. Bake for approximately 7-10 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is fully melted.
6. Serve with sour cream, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment