Sunday, March 27, 2011
WEMP-Free Cheddar Garlic Biscuits
Here's the WEMP-Free version of cheddar garlic biscuits!
1 cup soy milk
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
2 cups wheat-free flour mixture
1 tsp xanthum gum
1 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 Tablespoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons shortening
3 tablespoons dairy-free margarine, cold
1-2 slices yellow dairy-free cheese, diced
3 Tablespoons dairy-free margarine
1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In small bowl, combine soy milk and lemon juice. Let sit for about 5 minutes, until it forms buttermilk.
2. In large bowl, combine flour mixture, xanthum gum, baking powder, baking soda, garlic powder and salt. Cut in shortening and 3 Tablespoons dairy-free margarine. Continue cutting in with pastry blender until crumbs are pea-sized. Stir in diced soy cheese.
3. Stir in buttermilk until dough is just moist.
4. Place spoonfuls of dough onto baking sheet. Bake for 12-14 minutes.
5. In small bowl, melt 3 Tablespoons dairy-free margarine in microwave. Stir in dried parsley flakes, garlic powder and salt.
6. When biscuits come out of the oven, brush each with melted margarine mixture.
Here's the side-by-side comparison! The ones on the white plate are the regular version, the ones on the black plate are the WEMP-Free ones!