Wednesday, November 24, 2010
WEMP-Free Baked Potato Soup
8 large potatoes
1/2 cup dairy rich, dairy-free creamer
1 tsp garlic, minced
salt and pepper
4-8 cups water
up to 8 tsp chicken bouillon
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
about 1/4 diced onion (my own addition - really enhances the flavor!)
about 1/4 cup dairy-free sour cream
pre-cooked bacon pieces
dairy-free cheddar cheese, grated
green onions, sliced
1. Peel and dice potatoes. Place in large pot, cover with water, and boil for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain.
2. Place potatoes back into large pot. Add creamer, garlic, salt and pepper, and mix with hand mixer until smooth mashed potatoes.
3. Place pot back on stove over high heat, adding 4 cups water. Whisk together until smooth. Add remaining water until it's soup like consistency (sometimes I use all 8 cups, other times I use much less, so watch and pour/whisk about a half cup at a time). Add 1 tsp chicken bouillon for each cup of water used.
4. Add carrots, onions, and celery and cook for about 15 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently, until vegetables are soft.
5. Remove from heat and add dairy-free sour cream. Mix until well blended.
6. Pour into serving bowls. Sprinkle dairy-free cheddar cheese, bacon, and green onions on top.