I wanted to make a vegetarian meal tonight because we started fasting from meat on Wednesdays and Fridays like they do in Ethiopia, in preparation of bringing our son home...and so this is what I came up with and it was awesome!
1/2 tsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
1 large can petite diced tomatoes
2 soft chicken boullion cubes
2 - 15 oz cans white cannelli beans
1 - 15 oz can dark red kidney beans
2/3 cup dried red lentils
2 tsp Berbere (Ethiopian spice mixture)
4-6 cups chopped kale
light sour cream and cheddar cheese, if desired
1. In large pot, heat onion and olive oil over medium high heat until onion is soft. Add garlic and stir for about a minute.
2. Add tomatoes, chicken bullion cubes, and 2 cans full of water (use the can from the tomatoes). Stir.
3. Add white beans, kidney beans, lentils and berbere and stir together. Bring to a boil. Watch the amount of water, and add as needed (the lentils will absorb a good bit of the water). Keep the soup as brothy as you like it, as it cooks. Boil for about 20 minutes.
4. Add kale and stir. Cook until kale is wilted.
5. Serve with about a tsp of sour cream and just a little sprinkle of cheddar cheese if desired.
This was awesome with a piece of cornbread!