Sunday, September 12, 2010
WEMP Free Chicken Pot Pie!!!
This crust does taste a bit different than a regular wheat crust...it's not quite as light and airy, and it's a little crispy...but all in all, it's great! It's not too different tasting that I feel like I need to tweak the recipe to make it more similar to what we are used to.
Best of all, of course, is that we can ALL enjoy it together!!!
2 large split chicken breasts
1/4-1/2 lb carrots, diced
4 stalks celery
1 cup diced onion
3-4 large potatoes, diced
1 cans (12-16 oz) very young tender sweet peas, drained
salt and pepper
wheat-free flour mix
WEMP Free pie crust
1. Place chicken breasts into pot and cover with about 8 cups water. Sprinkle with about 1 tsp salt. Cook over high heat for about an hour, until chicken is fully cooked. After the first half hour, add carrots, celery, onion, and potatoes. Cook until chicken is fully cooked through and veggies are tender. Add peas and heat through.
***To save time, go down to step 5 and make pie crust while chicken is finishing cooking****
2. Remove all veggies and chicken from stock (SAVE broth!), and place into large bowl. Shred chicken and add back to veggie bowl.
3. In small bowl, combine 1 cup wheat-free flour mix with 1 cup water. Whisk well; pour into broth and cook over high heat for a few minutes until thickened, whisking often.
4. Add veggies and chicken back into broth.
5. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Make pie crust.
6. Roll out pie crust so that it is large enough to cover bottom and sides of 9x13 pan.
7. Transfer pie crust to bottom of baker. Fill with chicken mixture (may have more than you need!). Top with 9-12 pats of butter. Top with second pie crust. Roll over ends.
8. Put 8-10 slits in top of pie crust to let air escape. Cover edges of pie crust with foil. Bake at 425 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until crust looks fully cooked and golden brown.