This is my family's tradition! :-) SUPER YUMMY!
This makes a LOT of meat, enough to freeze for easy leftovers! Also yummy on egg noodles!
Ingredients for Beef:
3 large chuck roasts (3 lb each)
3 large onions, sliced
2 bottles Mrs. Minnick's Saurbraten Mix
1 cup vinegar
4 cups water
1. Heat some oil in the bottom of a large soup pot. Cut meat into very large chunks and brown meat in oil. Add onions and brown them a little.
2. Add rest of ingredients and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer on low all day.
Ingredients for Dumplings:
6 medium-size potatoes, boiled in their skins
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup sifted flour
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional)
olive oil (optional)
1. When cool enough to handle, peel and mash or rice the potatoes. Beat in all the remaining ingredients.
2. Shape into 1 or 2-inch balls. Drop into just boiling, salted water and cook for 7 to 10 minutes. Drain.
3. If desired, you can then saute the dumplings in a little olive oil until light golden brown. AWESOME THIS WAY!!!!
3. Serve with sour beef.